Malicious attackers online have had a very busy year in 2019. It looks like with successful internet hoaxes, phishing campaigns, and ransomware schemes, they were able to steal hard working Americans wages.
Referencing the FBI’s Internet Crime Report, it appears that there are some very alarming statistics:
- Individuals and Businesses had lost $3.5 Billion to malicious users last year.
- 2019 had the most reported incidents of cybercrime than any previous year in history.
- The most successful vector of attack was through business e-mail compromise, romance or confidence fraud, and spoofing attacks.
- Email Account Compromise cost $1.7 Billion in 2019, alone, with almost 24,000 reports to the FBI.
- Total losses by victim for the state of New Mexico was $17,983,833.
Attached are screenshots of the report for more statistics.
If you ever receive something suspicious, assist your local FBI office by reporting it to: https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx